Tuesday 1 December 2015

#10 Nothing Like Fear Of Redundancy To Focus The Mind

Debt current stands @ £25,300  (Student Loan £8,000, Credit Card Loan £7,300, House Loan £10,000)

Prioritising what to do with my money has, over the last couple of years been the thing I’ve struggled with most.

I really want a house on a nicer street within our village.

I really want a to be debt free.

I really want to retire early.

I really want to have lots of money invested.

I really want to start enjoying our money by going on holidays again – it has been years.

However, every now and then something happens which focuses the mind.

My current situation is I am the bread winner for Mrs Money Interest and our two children. We have a mortgage of £190k - £800 per month. We have credit card debt of £7.3k. And yet we have savings of £500.

So when I was told yesterday, or at least implied, that in April/May/June in 2016 I may get made redundant… it sharpened my mind and focus. What is really important now. What should I be prioritising right now.

Currently the credit card debt is on a 0% interest deal, but this runs out in March.

Up until now I have been happy with the £500 in savings and have prioritised paying off the Credit Card.

Now I will change my focus. I’m going to;

          1) Look to extend the 0% interest on my credit card loan – in January.
2) Put aside any extra money we have each month and add to my ‘rainy day’. The immediate aim is to have 1 month worth of costs (£2,600)
      3) At that point I’ll make a decision about whether to continue saving or return to paying as much off the debt as possible.

The aim is to have a little more re-assurance if this or something else unexpected happened.

In terms of my job, I have taken the decision to get as much out if in terms of experience as I can. Not get disappointed or angry. And remind myself if the time comes when I will be made redundant it’s an opportunity to take what I have learnt and probably go contracting to earn more money. But the real focus now is head down, keep learning and build up some savings.

Thanks

Mr Money Interest


No comments:

Post a Comment