Wednesday 31 January 2018

#79 Buy to let, can we?

So having gone through in my last post the investment paths I'm considering and deciding that probably buy-to-let is most suitable for me where do I go from here?

Quite frankly to feel like I am in a position to be able to consider which investment path I head down is delightful having come from £25k in debt and not really being able to see the end of the tunnel.

A couple of things are obvious...

  • Purchase price of likely properties.
Granted I haven't done all the research I would need too but having spent some time looking and knowing roughly the areas of interest it seems it would be possible to buy a 1-bed flat for £125k.
  • Mortgage options and costs.
Typically it seems LTV for buy-to-lets should be no more than 75%. So for a £125,000 property this would mean borrowing no more than £93k. That would be 74.4%. This is mainly because above this the mortgage interest rates rise dramatically. A £93k loan on an APR 3.6% is £279 per month for interest only or £471 repayment basis.
  • Other associated costs when buying a mortgage.
In credit card debt, carpet loan and desire to have £2k in emergency cash fund = £6,300
For solicitor fees, mortgage fee, survey, stamp duty, letting fees = £6,750
Deposit to make up difference (£125k purchase -  £93k mortgage) = £32,000
  • Then how long will it take me to have that money available.
I've assumed little in terms of wage growth - assumed that inflation will gobble it up.
I've assumed that I'll continue getting bonuses at the current rate.

I predict I would have the savings to pay off my debt by Jan-2019
Have enough saved to cover all costs associated with the purchase by Mar-2019.
But then not have enough to cover the deposit until March-2021.

Conclusion

In three years so much can change. However, it's clear that by relying on saving up cash to purchase a property we're going to be waiting for many years.

So... is there another way? I've been loosely discussing the prospect of freeing up a slight % of equity in our house. 

Our LTV is currently 72% by releasing £25k we could increase our LTV to 75%. 

Reducing the deposit down to £7k would - according to me predictions allow us to afford to buy a property in Dec-2019. 

Further, I am currenty saving £100 per month into global index fund and have an £8k car loan which I plan to pay off with my bonus in two months time.

If we instead kept the bonus, stopped paying into the global fund and then used that money to pay for the car loan instead we would - theoretically- have sufficient savings to purchase a property next March-2019.

The giant BUT here is if my current provider will allow me to borrow more - my wage hasn't gone up - and if so are there any penalties which would make it unwise.

Having said all of that, the idea that there is even a possibility that we could afford to purchase a buy-to-let next year is pretty damn exciting!!!!!!!!!!!

So next steps...
  1. Next post review numbers for how I think it should stack up annually.
  2. Run my financial plan again to make sure I'm not fooling myself with a missed calculation.
  3. Double check I am not being too optimistic on the purchase price or purchase fees.
  4. Wait until March when I will receive bonus and potential pay-rise. Factor this into financial plan.
  5. And only then discuss with by bank on the possibilities in release extra money.



6 comments:

  1. Hi Brian

    Looks like you and the missus are set on the BTL route and as a BTL landlord myself, I have to say it was one of the best financial decisions I've made but then, my situation is not the same as yours.

    As you say, you haven't done all the research yet but it's important to consider things like:

    - rental yield, ie what are the 1-bed flats in that area renting out for? This is also a criteria for the actual BTL loan, ie rental income needs to cover the mortgage payments by 125-130% usually
    - would you be able to handle void months if/when you have no tenants?
    - will you have an emergencyy fund for any repairs/replacements to the BTL?
    - your tax situation - you are a high rate taxpayer so can only offset 75% of your mortgage payments against your profits. In 3 years' time, you won't be able to offset any of it so will pay tax on the full profit.

    It is very exciting to start laying the plans towards your dream but all factors will need to be considered.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Weenie, yeah it's something that ever since I was a teenager I've had in my mind I would do. I never really considered it a possibility until recently when I started digging into it.

      I'm hoping to take everything into account with my financial planning and so when we have enough we're ready to jump on board BTL and no put ourselves at un-due risk.

      Due to all the changes with tax I'm planning on doing this all under within a PLC. This has the added bonus of being a step towards another long term plan I have always had is to go contracting in my role (IT Project Manager).

      It does seem it would be hard to make it pay without being a PLC due to the fact I'd be borrowing up to 75% most likely.

      I must say though, that the most exciting is feeling re-invigorated with an aim and a plan to get there which feels attainable and realistic. I had this when we were paying down the £25k but as soon as we got really close to that I sort of lost a bit of direction. With BTL I feel I've got that back again. :)

      Delete
    2. Having said all that. I'd upload what I'm basing all of my financial planning and you'll probably turn around - with actual first hand experience - and say "nope, under estimating by a third" or something and it'll feel far away again ;)

      Delete
    3. Ah, I was going to mention setting up under a company would help with the taxes but you've got that bit covered already!

      I can't really comment re underestimating any numbers you put up as my property is in cheap and cheerful Manchester and I was very lucky with my purchase. As I use an agency to manage my property, the income I get is probably as close to passive as I can get it, for a BTL. Still, others don't use agencies and seem to do ok, It depends on how hands on you want to be.


      Delete
  2. Just my 2p. If your wife is a 20% tax payer (or not at all!), then you can always setup a beneficial interest so that the rent received is all under her name (or a 90/10 split). I believe this to be more tax efficient than a Ltd company currently (currently meaning the current tax rules and the ones we know about for the future of mortgage interest offsetting, so called Section 24, and currently meaning with your small future portfolio). You can do this even though both of you are both on the mortgage and the deeds, it is not in anyway a dodge. On that note, please take a look at Property118 if you havent already. Fascinating reading.

    On another note, you are better off having a SPV Ltd company if you want to invest in property through that structure, and keeping it very separate from any contracting Ltd company you are going to setup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had not come across the beneficial interest before, thanks, will look into this. Always good to have a recommendation when there is so much out there on this so will have a read through Property118.

      Yeah, since I started looking I had noticed that it was mentioned in quite a few places to use SPV rather than a simple PLC. It's a shame as I quite like the idea of having one company looking after my property in the future along with my expected contracting work. Anyway, I'll look futher into this no doubt there are some way to string it all together.

      Delete