Thursday 25 January 2018

#77 We bought a car

Well not quite strictly true yet.

We've paid for a car and am going to pick it up on Saturday.

We've made the decision to spend a little more than I really wanted too to get a car which will hold it's value a little longer as it's done so few miles.

So on Saturday I'm spending £10,950 to buy a 2012 7 seater Ford S-Max which has done only 10,000 miles. To get this price I'm having to fly up to Scotland and drive the 7 hours back!

With the Mrs being set on having a car with 3 iso-fix points in the middle row we really didn't have much choice and I had no interest in buying a car which will have clocked over 100,000 miles in less than 24 months of us owning which was pretty much the norm for this amount of money.

However, I'm not excited. I'm just disappointed that we're spending all this money - financed by an £8k loan which we expect to pay off in March when I receive my bonus and the £2,950 in cash savings we had.

So just as we crossed the hurdle of having more liquid savings than debt we've plummeted back to the other side again.

It's going to be a tough couple of months but we've shown we can get our heads down and improve financially so we're just going to have to do it again.

And this time when we come out we'll have the 'forever' family house, the 'pretty much forever' family car and hopefully given those are normally the two biggest expenses we can keep the positive momentum going slightly longer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment