Tuesday 20 February 2018

#83 Starting to be a dividend investor

I have read and am a firm believer in global index funds and trackers. I invest £100 per month into this and will continue to do so.

I believe we can afford to invest £300 per month. I see the Global Fund as the bread and butter for my wealth accumulation, it's got a decent head start. I'll then try out using £100 per month to begin a dividend invested portfolio. I think partly because I find it interesting and have already learnt quite a lot just from reading and following blogs.

I will build up my cash reserves with the remaining £100+ and any extra I am able to scrounge together.

This isn't going to make a giant wealth building snowball any time soon but it's a sensible start on the journey and the figures can be altered and updated as and when in the future.

So, for my dividend investing journey, where do I go from here? Well here's my plan.


  1. Stock screener. I want to have a series of attributes / data points for me to identify potential business. There's a lot of info out there, I favour something nice and simple like the Dividend Diplomats use over in the States. I see this as a starting point to identify potential businesses and likely as I learn this'll adapt and change over time.
  2. Updating stock watch in Google Docs. I want to have an excel in Google Docs which populates all the fields I'm looking to screen stocks for. I've found that =GOOGLEFINANCE does a pretty good job of accounting for most fields. I'm then using Dividend Max for annual dividend info and a few other criteria.
  3. Invest. I really want to learn on-the-job as it were so unlike the BTL approach I plan to get stuck in at the earliest opportunity - 02 March - and begin learning.
I'm pretty excited about this going forward and have largely got over the BTL disappointment for now -  I feel for me it was the right decision at the right time for the right reasons. 

Maybe I'm just excited as I like a spreadsheet though, who knows :) 



2 comments:

  1. Hi Brian

    I hope you're not too disappointed about the BTL plan but I agree that it was probably the right decision to make given the tight margins and other issues you might have had to contend with.

    Good luck with the dividend investing - it was a slow start for me but regular investing has built up my portfolio and I'm seeing nice dividends trickle in each month now.

    If you have the time, it might be worth checking out:

    http://dividendchampions.uk/

    And this forum on Lemon Fool, which talks about High Yield Portfolios amongst a ton of other stuff:

    https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=15

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Weenie, not disappointed just happy to have thought it through properly.

    I stumbled across the Dividend Champions website and have used that to generate a list + everything from the ftse100.

    This Lemon Fool forum looks ideal! I've been looking for blogs from UK investors but really struggled to find anything, so thanks for this!

    Yes, I've seen your divs increasing yoy and it's very motivating!

    ReplyDelete