Wednesday 10 February 2016

#17 First Shares

I have been considering my investment options for a long time.

And although all of the research I have done led me to conclude the best thing to do was to invest in a mixed collection of bonds and indexes, I did not follow this advice.

Instead I invested £500 into one company.

The reasons?

1. It is the company I work for.
2. The previous share schemes (which are no longer available) have and are going to make many of my colleagues a vast amount of money. Unfortunately I was not in a position to enter these schemes so as the share price rose I got more depressed at work. I see this investment as a financial one but also as a tool to prevent me from becoming overly de-motivated at work. Which will pay-off in the long run irrespective of share returns.

I purchased 4 shares for a price of £429.62, including one-off trading fee. This equates too £107.40 per share.

This has been one of my goals for a long-time - to own shares - and so I'm a bit chuffed. Although I see it as a long term (5-10 years) investment I have still been checking the price every day. This will slow down when the novelty wears off.

Unfortunately the share price has dropped considerably since I purchased them and now stands at £92 per share...leaving my portfolio £61 (15%) down in a week.

But this is the first step on a long journey and this does not dent my excitement.




No comments:

Post a Comment